Remembering Great saint and Yoga Guru B. K. S Iyengar

Certainly a sad day for me.  Just in the morning, got the news of death of B. K. S. Iyengar, or Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar, if one prefers full name.
It was sufficient for me to turn this morning to period of mourning. Somehow, I took the sad news as a personal loss.

My first interaction with Late Yoga Guru Iyengar Jee was through his books. The thing which attracted me was his use of props in Yoga Postures (Asanas), which I had never encountered in my studies of Yoga science, encompassing many of original classicals, their interpretations as well as latter books, written by various authorities. 

 
BKS Iyengar teaching Yoga with help of props
BKS Iyengar teaching Yoga with help of props
 I can easily remember a somewhat negative reaction towards innovative use of props by one of my learned friends in Allahabad/ Prayag, the city, where I dwelled those days. As per my friend, this innovation was nothing but a gimmick to attract foreign disciples, who may bring wads of dollars for this Yoga Guru.

I couldn’t form an opinion, at that time. And latter I realised it was good for me. Funnily enough, B. K. S informed me that all these innovations had come out of his own compulsion, when he was a bit incapacitated after an accident. It is another thing that these props were readily adopted with open arms by his foreign disciples, who were not used to Indian life style.

BKS Iyengar at initial period of his Yoga life
BKS Iyengar at initial period of his Yoga life


My interaction to Late Iyengar might have been limited to his books only; unless my visit to Mysore Zoo, where I had gone to present with my theatre group. Curiously enough, I discovered that B. K. S Iyengar Sir was the biggest donor for that zoo. If I can remember, the amount was something more than ten lakhs.
I do not know the reason, but, suddenly, I found a strong inner urge to meet this Yoga Guru, which could materialize much latter. In our meeting, the thing which mesmerized me was his sense of humour, which I could see was pervading all around him, something like halo or aura. This Great Man could laugh at all his childhood sufferings, silly things; he did in his initial life and many more things. I could easily see an innocent child within him, giggling on small pretext.

BKS Iyengar in a bubbly mood
BKS Iyengar in a bubbly mood

I had gone to him to learn some secrets of Yoga, or some smart breathing techniques; but these did not come even once in our conversation. Somehow, all our conversation was centred towards initial phases of his life. Today, I realise that on that beautiful  day,  I could not learn anything regarding Yoga or Pranayama; but I learnt so many precious lessons of life, in the company of this great seer of India, or of the whole world.

Before taking permission of leave from B. K. S Iyengar Jee and touching his feet with reverence, I just asked the great saint and Yoga Guru, which was the most memorable moment of his life; getting ‘Padam Shree’ (He had not get ‘Padma Bhooshan’ and ‘Padma Vibhooshan’ by then), publication of his best seller books, or going and getting recognised in so many countries.
BKS Ayengar in a function with his pupils
BKS Ayengar in a function with his pupils

He just saw me and started to see upward, as if he was trying to search something in the void. I took it as a signal to leave. I stood up and touched his feet, before leaving his company. Suddenly, his face lit up with a fascinating smile, which I can still recollect. He touched my hands affectionately as well as warmly and that was the end of our only meeting.

Despite of my best efforts, I could not meet him again by visiting Pune, despite of getting confirmed appointment, however, I could talk on phone. The conversation remained mainly in customary nature.
I can feel pain of not only Geeta and Prashant, his children*, but lakhs and lakhs of followers of Iyenger Yoga, many of whom have not seen or met him.
An Iyengar Yoga Class
An Iyengar Yoga Class

*If I am not wrong, he had one more daughter, but incidentally I do not know her name, for which I may be forgiven.

Note: Āchary Kalki Krishnan, writer of this blog is an established and renowned Astrologer and Vastu Expert, and mentor of AstroDevam, most reliable website regarding Astrology and related sciences. Famous for his positive outlook and honored by a lot of organizations, Āchary Kalki Krishnan prefers to be addressed as ‘Wellness & Harmony Expert’.
He can be contacted at http://astrodevam.com/contact-us.html


टिप्पणी: इस ब्लॉग के लेखक, आचार्य कल्कि कृष्णन्, स्थापित व प्रतिष्ठित ज्योतिषी व वास्तु सलाहकार हैं. वे ज्योतिष विज्ञान सम्बन्धी सबसे प्रतिष्ठित वेबसाइट एस्ट्रोदेवं के संरक्षक हैं. अपने सकारात्मक दृष्टिकोण के लिए विख्यात एवं अनेकानेक संस्थाओं से सम्मानित आचार्य कल्कि कृष्णन्,  स्वयं को ‘संतुष्टि व सामंजस्य विशेषज्ञ’ कहलाना पसंद करते हैं.  उनसे आप http://astrodevam.com/contact-us.html पर संपर्क कर सकते हैं. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment